approaching summer

May 30, 2007

Seems were always busy around here lately. Haven't had much time to write and I don't have the patience to wait an hour while my photos upload. I need to fix my uploading issues soon. Summer weather has come our way rather suddenly and we've been dividing our time between running errands and dilly-dallying outside.

The girl loves her squirt bottles. She cleans everything with them.

It's not a bad way to spend our days. I'm definitely out of the habit of blogging though. Today I was going to write a Keely post (aren't most of them?). I figure if I'm not using this blog for anything else right now I still have to record those childhood memories.
Keely you are so grown-up sometimes it's frightening. Slow down please. You so love to do everything yourself and want to replicate what you see adults doing. We came home from the dr. today and you ran to find your doctor bag and a pen and notebook (to use as a file). You gave me a check-up and recorded very important notes in my chart.  You are always writing notes now. You draw maps for your animals too "so they know where they need to go" and you give it to them. You write names on index cards and label things around the house. You can write most of the alphabet now. You're getting quite good at writing your name too.

I finally let you walk at the stores. No more cart riding for you. It has made a big difference. You nearly beg to go to some store that you can walk at everyday. You run to your bedroom and pick out your clothes and shoes. You go to the bathroom and then put on all the clothing you that you can manage alone and then bring the rest to me to help you with. While I help you, you proudly tell me everything you did to prepare for this monumental outting to Target. A most joyous occassion. The novelty has not worn off yet. You walking has made most of our errands take double as long as they would have previously, but you are happy. You stay with me and haven't broke anything yet.  You've also started riding your tricycle around the neighborhood when we take a walk, but usually 3/4 of the way home you say, "Can't I just walk?" like I've forced you to do this ridiculous activity and you then clumsily drag your bike the rest of the way…throwing dirty looks over your shoulder at it when it doesn't cooperate.

Naps are fading away. If you don't have a very active day you will not go to sleep for a nap. I'm slowly accepting that it's time for me to just let them go. It's hard. Strangely, even if you don't take a nap you don't go to bed any earlier than usual. Some days can be really long.
You love to talk on the phone now. If a grandparent calls, you stand in front of me with your hands on your hips saying, "Can I talk now?" "I have to talk to them tooooooo." Then when you do talk, we can't get you to stop. You walk around the house talking, using animated arms and hands. We have to pry the phone out of your hands to end it. Chatterbox.
I'm suffering from some insomnia lately, so I lay awake watching you sleep. I can still see your newborn face so clearly in your slumbering expressions. It makes me teary. You still suck with your mouth when you sleep sometimes and it makes me laugh. You haven't sucked on anything (pacifier, bottle, breast) in a very long time. You laugh a lot in your sleep and talk too. You'll say, "Well, I'm still NOT going to go to sleep. hmmpf." Too funny. Sometimes you roll over at night and snuggle in my neck and say, "Oh mommy, I love you." You're sound asleep. That's the good stuff.

When I correct you or use a not so nice tone you've started saying, "Well I'm going to live somewhere else and you can't come!" or crossing your arms and saying, "Well then I'M MAD!" and you stay mad for quite awhile.  Daddy and I started to lose our patience with some of your more trying behaviors lately, so we had to have a long talk and we are trying to get back to being the calm, kind parents we want to be. You really do respond well when we just take the time.
We are also considering homeschooling you. I'm really torn on this one. The more I learn about what's going on in elementary schools these days the more I want you no where around them. However, there are a few benefits to attending a school. I don't know what kind of teacher I'd be to you or if that's where I want our lives to go. Homeschooling is a big deal. I haven't even fully wrapped my head around all that it would mean. The possibility is there though.

I love you my big girl and I'm so proud of the person you are. One day when we were out, someone stopped to smile and talk to you. After we had passed, daddy said, "She makes people smile." It is so true. Everywhere we go people stop what they are doing to look at you, watch you, or to catch a smile from you. You are so special. I could write about you forever I think, but I'll end here for now.

Filed under: keely,random chatter

• 1. capello  |  May 30, 2007 at 9:38 am

geesh lady, look at all your flowers.

and ahhhhh… they grow so quickly.

• 2. Beth  |  May 30, 2007 at 10:37 am

Such a sweet post for a sweet little lady. Hopes that my little one grows to make people smile too.

Good work momma!

• 3. Ali  |  May 30, 2007 at 11:03 am

Your comments about Keely and the phone made me smile. Even if Mark is seated when I hand him the phone, he will jump to his feet and begin carrying objects from room to room while he chats. Guess who always multi-tasks on the phone?!

Your garden’s looking great btw.

• 4. LLA  |  May 30, 2007 at 11:19 am

I could read about Keely forever, I think…

These are such moving, touching posts….

thank you.

• 5. laeroport  |  May 30, 2007 at 12:41 pm

She is growing up so fast. I keep saying to Aidin, “Who are you?” It seems like overnight she’s become a different person. So smart and big. Good for you for capturing it all. And do I see FIVE different outfits in these photos? Progress, mama. Progress.

• 6. Amanda  |  May 30, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Such a sweet post. I too am watching my little ones (14 mo. and almost 3) grow so fast. I loved the specifics you mentioned about your girl. Keely will love reading this later.

I too am concerned about sending my “babies” into the public school system and have decided to homeschool.

Looks like you’re already a great teacher!
    Thanks for the encouraging blogging.

• 7. Jen  |  May 30, 2007 at 3:30 pm

(AKA wunnaful on flickr)
    I can leave a comment now!

I just wanted to say that reading what you write for Keely makes me so excited to have children of my own. She just sounds like the light of your life, and it’s so fun to read about all the little things you take the time to notice about her.

• 8. Alicia A.  |  May 30, 2007 at 9:27 pm

Hello there, sweet Keely.

It’s so fun to peek into your relationship with each other. Thank you for that, Angela.

• 9. gloria  |  May 30, 2007 at 11:11 pm

what a tender post.
    i got a little teary remembering things about my babies!!

• 10. Knittlebittle  |  May 31, 2007 at 9:16 am

What a lovely post about your wonderful daughter. We too made the transition from breastfeeding to modified attachment parenting to homeschooling. (I’m not exactly the “hippie” type even if it sounds a bit that way.)

It can be a little intimidating at first to think about keeping Keely at home. We’re in our third year now and having school as a part of our day is as natural as making lunch. About.com’s homeschooling links are a gentle way to read about the various styles.

Namaste

• 11. Natalie  |  May 31, 2007 at 9:22 am

Your post is a treasure for her and for yourself. Consider this: You’ve been homeschooling her from day one and think how wonderfully you’ve done so far. I won’t overwhelm you with persuasive arguments or *free* advice, but I think you are capable of continuing to teach your daughter and you would not be disappointed.

• 12. Felicia  |  May 31, 2007 at 9:58 am

Oh what beautiful pictures! Hope you can get some good sleep soon :)

• 13. Dawn  |  May 31, 2007 at 1:54 pm

A sweet reminder of why parenthood is most rewarding! Thank you :)

• 14. Vickie  |  June 3, 2007 at 8:03 am

I know homeschool can seem scary and I didn’t think I could do it but I did for 14 years and it is the best thing I ever did. It was also one of the happiest times of my life and I have such a wonderful relationship with my daughters that I don’t think I would have otherwise. There’s lots of information out there, research and pray.

• 15. elsa  |  June 3, 2007 at 1:16 pm

Such sweet words for your daughter. I’m sure she will treasure them when she gets older.
    I’m a homeschooling mom of 2 girls, 7 and 4. I’m not gonna lie, at times it is challenging. But honestly, most of the time it is very rewarding. My older girl is sweet and gentle and sensitive and I couldn’t stand the thought of those wonderful qualities changing if she went to school. At home she can be who she wants to be. I could go on and on but I’ll just suggest that you start with preschool and see how that feels. If you like it, continue on to K. If not, she can go to school and you’ll know that it wouldn’t have worked for you.