house four

May 21, 2007

So some of you remember last summer when we were questing for our future farm house in need of renovation (see the sidebar category "house hunting")? Well, we decided this weekend we'd go look at a fourth farmhouse. Actually, we already knew this house was in really rough shape, but we wanted to scout out the area and see if we liked it.

After driving through some really flat land, lots of fields, the swamp, and listening to 100 zillions "Are we there yets?" we found the property. Here's the lovely tree lined driveway.

Here's the poor house. It's pretty near falling down I think.
We didn't have an appointment so we didn't get to walk in it. That's alright though because we could barely even walk on the porch -or what was left of it.
Ceiling wasn't much better.
We looked in the windows and got an eye full. Yikes. The house was too terrible for us to even consider, but the land was so beautiful.
Farm fields surrounding all sides. Quiet. Oh so quiet. The only sounds were birds and the leaves rustling in the wind. Good stuff.  But back to the house.

I guess you could say it had potential if you had an endless supply of restoration money. Yes, it would be an awesome place to live then. However,this shot sums up our feelings on the structure.
Yep, I live with these two nuts.

At least I got some nice photos out of the drive.
We drove through a few other little towns, ate lunch outside on the water at a park. The weather was beautiful. We came home to cook up some fresh farm vegetables delivered from my dad. A pretty good day was had.

(Except for as soon as we got home we were greeted by the sounds of our neighbors having their first pool bash of the season. yay.)

Filed under: house hunting,random chatter

• 1. capello  |  May 21, 2007 at 8:52 am

oh man, i like that house. too bad it’s crumbling to pieces.

(and hey, i was going to leave a snarky comment about the neighbors but you beat me to it.)

• 2. lera  |  May 21, 2007 at 8:56 am

Too bad the house isn’t in better shape. It’s adorable!!!! It has so much potential.

• 3. OMSH  |  May 21, 2007 at 9:50 am

I wish I had endless resources – it looks absolutely lovely.

• 4. Chara Michele  |  May 21, 2007 at 10:22 am

Wouldn’t it be so much fun to have endless resources so you could fix up a house like that! I would love to live out in the country, with no neighbors for miles….

• 5. Mirre  |  May 21, 2007 at 10:53 am

What a wonderful place… the house looks so romantic!
    I hope you’ll find something similar that is in a better state!

• 6. Katrine  |  May 21, 2007 at 10:54 am

You can see that the house was once beautiful. And the property is amazing! Too bad there’s no money growing on that tree lined drive!

• 7. Alicia H.  |  May 21, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Oh poor, poor house. Shameful that something that beautiful has been long neglected. Hope you find your farmhouse.

• 8. Amy  |  May 21, 2007 at 2:55 pm

ah – the dream. Hope springs eternal. That does look like a money pit — but photogenic even still.

• 9. brit  |  May 21, 2007 at 9:53 pm

the reality is always so much harsher than the dream, especially with little kids and not much pocket change. Good luck finding the perfect house!!!

• 10. Sharon  |  May 22, 2007 at 12:11 pm

The house has potential, but yes, who has the resources for something in such a state? I think it’s so sad that so many old houses fall into such decay that they are considered unsalvagable. Only a lucky few get “saved”. Oh well, such is our world today. We can only do what we can. Good luck in the house search.

• 11. Dawn  |  May 22, 2007 at 4:04 pm

It’s out there… keep searching! :)

• 12. Lynn  |  May 22, 2007 at 5:21 pm

Can you just imagine what that house looked like in it’s prime…such a shame!

• 13. Molly  |  May 22, 2007 at 6:34 pm

I just stumbled onto your blog via other blog links… what a gorgeous blog! I wsh you much luck in the hunt. I remember my own house hunt. Whew. Exhausting. But it looks like some fun is being had!

• 14. Tangerine Dreams  |  May 22, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I love your nuts! What you cute pics. Gorgeous property too!

• 15. mollycoddle  |  May 23, 2007 at 4:08 pm

I love living vicariously through your house hunting…some day, some day. This house really does have a lot of potential but you’re right about the endless supply of $$ is would take to get it all fixed up. Add that to pregnancy/new babe? I think you’d have your hands quite full!! :)
    So glad to catch up with you. Blog commenting has been few and far between for me these days with a new babe in the house. But I think things are getting a little more ‘normal’ now. Whatever THAT means!

(I had to sign in as mollycoddle this time because it looks like there is another molly out in blogland, too!)

• 16. gloria  |  May 23, 2007 at 6:20 pm

wow.
    beautiful!!
    at least you got some cute pics out of the trip!!
    :P

• 17. Natalie  |  May 24, 2007 at 10:20 am

OKay, so it’s a fixer… We are lookng, hoping, praying for a home too. It’s tough out there.

• 18. Lori  |  May 24, 2007 at 11:23 am

Oh… that is a dream house, except for the falling apart part. I agree that it is a little too much to fix unless you are hard core into it. Good luck on the search.

• 19. Victoria May Plum  |  May 25, 2007 at 7:12 pm

Hi,
    I’ve just happily stumbled upon your blog, and I feel like I know you already. Your little girl is divine, how old is she?
    I have a little girl who is nearly 2, and she also loves pulling funny faces, dressing up and being generally hilarious!
    That old farm house looks so wonderful, we just don’t have anything like that in Cornwall.
    I am sure to be back soon to keep up to date with your house hunt, and the baby etc etc.
    Have a lovely weekend