the cookie conversation

May 15, 2007

So Keely and I were making chocolate chip cookies the other day and she sat down to devour a little dish of chips with her first cookie and she says, "Mommy, I'm going to have a sister one day."

(how Keely softens the butter)

This raised my eyebrow because we haven't told her that I'm pregnant or what the means. I didn't think I could handle her questions yet. She can ask soooo many questions. Also, with all the unpleasant things that have been happening I didn't want her to associate the baby with all this bad stuff-hospitals, doctor trips, me feeling so bad etc.  I've never had to tell her about where babies come from. We've never been around another pregnant person. She's never asked. So, after she said this sister thing I said, "Oh really? "How do you know that?"

"Daddy told me."  (He swears he didn't).

Keely, do you know where babies come from?"

"Yep. Other people's houses. We don't have any babies at our house, so we have to go to someone else's house."

"I see. Well that wouldn't be too nice to take someone's baby. They'd really miss it and little babies really need their mommies and daddies."

She goes back to eating her cookie and I'm thinking that I should go ahead and get the ball rolling with the baby talk. Seize the moment.

"Keely. Babies are at some people's houses, but that isn't where they come from. They grow inside of their mommy's belly."

Keely got her far off look and I took her picture.

She stared off like this for quite awhile. This is always her expression when she is told new information- the "now processing material gaze".

Then she came back and said, "WHAT!?" I told her again. Then she asked about everybody she knew and if they had grown in their mommy's belly. "Whose belly did Grandma grow in?" I started to get nervous because I know her typical pattern of questioning and thought for certain she was going to ask how it gets there and how it gets out.  I just can't tell her these things yet. She's so sweet, and young, and innocent! I'm not going to lie to her if she asks, but I want to tell her in some pleasant way that I haven't come up with yet. She has noticed some of the changes in my body, so I know it's just a matter of time before she figures it out. I was hoping to wait until month 5, so she could go with us to the big ultrasound and see the baby and it would make a little sense to her AND I'd only have 4 months of questions to take. I do think I'm going to tell her sooner now.

She finally nods this new info. off and says, "Yeah, okay. But biiiirds grow in eggs!" She says it all sarcastically and like- "Well fine, you know all about that stuff but I KNOW this juicy tidbit, bet ya didn't know that momma! Ha!"

Then she goes back to pondering and chewing.

I went and got her baby scrapbook out and showed her the pregnant photos of me and told her she was in my belly then, blah, blah, blah. She then had to look at the whole album and talk about everything in it. She loved this book. Now, I feel bad that I haven't kept it up. It is a pretty cool thing. I mean, who wouldn't like it. It's a book all about YOU! How many of us have that? I was already feeling bad that I haven't wrote a thing about this pregnancy in a journal. The second child is already neglected. Keely has two journals and two full scrapbook albums, a box of mementos, several boxes filled with photos and all the stuff on this blog. What have I done to myself?  How am I going to keep up with that for two? oy. I got to get my scrapbook, detail recording self in gear.

And yes she asked many more questions. "Can I have a baby in my belly?" "Do daddy's have babies in their bellies? Well, why not?" and on, and on, and on.

(my mother's day flowers)

Filed under: keely,random chatter

• 1. Alicia A.  |  May 15, 2007 at 5:50 pm

And so it begins…

Jack still hasn’t asked how the babies get in there. I’m hoping Brian will be home when it happens so I don’t have to go it alone.

Hope you feeling ok and all of the organs are behaving in there. : )

• 2. Ali  |  May 15, 2007 at 5:56 pm

You think this is bad, wait till it gets to the whole ‘how will it come out?’ question. I’m afraid I told a 3 year old Mark that it was like when a chicken lays an egg – uuuurgh pop!

You have to imagine that together with wings and a doing a bm face to get the full effect. He laughed so much that he let the whole conversation drop.

Yup, that’s me, chicken in more ways than one!

• 3. LLA  |  May 15, 2007 at 7:18 pm

How darling is that “pondering and chewing” look???

• 4. jennifer  |  May 15, 2007 at 9:46 pm

i absolutely love your post. how wonderful every bit of it. the curiosity, the confusion, the hesitancy, the pondering, the wondering (on both your parts), and the most beautiful way you handled it all. wonderful indeed.

love the chocolate chips, too. :-)

• 5. brit  |  May 16, 2007 at 12:22 am

at this point I just plan on printing out my blog as a baby book..I’m too behind…plus it catches the day to day don’t you think?

• 6. gloria  |  May 16, 2007 at 1:05 am

love her “now processing” face.
    too cute!!

• 7. capello  |  May 16, 2007 at 8:42 am

::blinking:: am i the only one that teaches my kids about this stuff? well, some of this stuff.

they know babies grow in bellies. and they know mommies scream a lot when they come out. and mommies have to lay down a lot when babies are in bellies.

yeah. no wonder my kids don’t want me having anymore kids.

• 8. Natalie  |  May 16, 2007 at 9:21 am

I can relate about delaying, in terms of the deluge of questions… my youngest son needs complete reports on all new subjects and he likes everything repeated and explained until I am tempted to submit charts and graphs.

• 9. laeroport  |  May 16, 2007 at 10:33 am

Magic. That’s how babies come out. Magic. And magic gets them in there in the first place. Simple.

Ah, come on now! That’s not a lie! It is magic. A miracle, even.

Good luck with your curious girl.

• 10. Katrine  |  May 16, 2007 at 11:59 am

What a cute story!

• 11. Sharon  |  May 16, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Kids are SO smart! And she is asking some very intelligent questions! It’s good she’s seeing some pictures of herself so she has some foundation in understanding. My son was 2 when I had my second, and saying “Baby inside” was about as far as it got.

• 12. PoppaDon  |  May 17, 2007 at 8:44 am

And they say parenthood isn’t a full time job…

• 13. Stacey  |  May 17, 2007 at 1:00 pm

I’m pregnant as well and my twin 3 1/2 yr old girls recently asked me how the baby got in my belly (did I eat it?) and how it came out. I didn’t go into great detail, but I did give them the real facts and they did the same digesting look and have not asked me again. I do wonder if I freaked them out a bit. :)

• 14. Sam  |  May 17, 2007 at 1:23 pm

I know what you are going through! My daughters haven’t started asking questions yet, but they are noticing the changes. I have twin daughters who will turn 3 in August and I am 16 weeks pregnant with baby #3. I am so sorry you have had a tumultuous first trimester and I hope you have a very smooth 2nd and 3rd trimester. It is rough being pregnant and running after a little one. It makes it impossible to take it easy as everyone freely advises. The girls have noticed my belly (much larger this time around and there is only one baby!) and will randomly say “Mama your tummy is big” or ” you have a baby belly”. We have mentioned that I have a baby in my tummy but that did not pique their interest- yet. Good luck!!

• 15. Dawn  |  May 17, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Wow… I hope that was enough. I don’t know what I’ll do when that comes up in our household. Yikes.

• 16. Teri  |  May 18, 2007 at 12:13 am

priceless.

• 17. tamara  |  May 18, 2007 at 2:22 pm

she’s just a doll, questions and all :)

• 18. JoAnna  |  May 20, 2007 at 8:44 am

Wow! Don’t you love the conversations that come out of just baking in the kitchen!

• 19. Mae  |  May 20, 2007 at 4:19 pm

I had to laugh at Keely’s comment about a new baby. I was just at a potluck at a friend’s house a few days ago. A little gal there – who is about three – was going around telling everyone in her little sweetgirl voice how her “and Mommy are going in a plane ride to get a baby”. Because we are somewhat isolated here, some women do get flown out when they’re due and her dad is a doctor so she is likely aware of this. What she didn’t know is that her mom just found out she is pregnant! Of course they have no idea where this story came from but we were all kind of amazed by the whole thing. Maybe there is a sort of peer sixth sense thing going on?!