belly shrimp and other oddities

May 4, 2007

The poor neglected camera.

The poor neglected blog.

My poor neglected blog mates. I am so sorry y'all. I just can't keep up right now.

I have nothing creative or cheery to write about. My brain is mushy and so sleepy and the rest of me is nauseous quite often. Working on getting food and drink in me regularly is the main goal of most of my days- that and wondering if I should take my anti-barf med.s or not. Fun stuff. I already had my (early) 12 week appointment and the babe's doing fine and I got to listen to its fast heartbeat (160). The first trimester is almost over though, so with any luck, some of these blah feelings will be behind me soon. Remember when I used to blog almost 5 days a week?! Ha. Someone would have to pay me to do that now. I'm ready to put a pillow on my keyboard after writing just that paragraph.

Let's see what I've got to amuse you with though, since you were nice enough to stop by and forgive my horrible punctuation.

Keely's newest nickname is "belly shrimp". That's funny, right?  This girl goes by so many names it's a trip. She answers to most of them too. "Bender" is what I usually call her. I say it in public and people make faces at me and say, "WHAT is her name?"  There used to be this robot toy called the Kinderbot and when she was 10 months old she started speaking a lot and her vocab. grew so quickly that I called her the Kinderbot. It changed over time into Kinder Bender and now, just Bender.  Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh, right. She got this stuffed flamingo who she calls Flingo. She said, "Why is he pink?" I said (because I had been taught this) that they get their pink color from the pink shrimp they eat (This is not really correct. It is from their diet though, which is high in alpha and beta-carotene. Just so you know.) Keely thought the word "shrimp" was just soooo funny. We don't eat seafood so I guess she'd never heard it before. Later I was tickling and pretending to gobble her belly up. I said she tasted like ice cream and she said, "No, I'm a belly shrimp!" and then laughed hysterically as did I and now she is called, "Belly shrimp."

The girl is very into birds still and loves to identify them by their calls now. She can imitate a few of them very good too. We found this site that she loves. It has lots of bird calls on it. She can do a mean Cardinal song.

On one of my life sucks days I was trying to distract myself and find something funny. The only (How sad is that?) thing I found was this. I've never been a fan of Star Trek (Sure, I've been to a few conventions….kidding.) I really only know a few character's names, but I still thought it was chuckle worthy. "Keep it on the chip." Ryan's favorite line is, "This boy loves that leftover roast beef." oy. We need help. Keely has even started in with some of the lines. We are not proud of some of the wrongness we pass on to her. Nothing terrible you know. Not like we are kicking back bottles of liquor nightly and polishing our guns (much) but still everytime she portrays something we have inadvertently taught her we sing that Crosby, Stills, and Nash song lyric, "….teach your children well…" and tsk tsk ourselves.

Alright. I just wanted to pop in and say that I was still alive. Please don't count how many parenthesis I used in this post. Ease up woman.  Have a good weekend.

Filed under: random chatter

• 1. eren  |  May 4, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Glad to hear you and the babe are still doing well. And I know what you mean about how nicknames kind of evolve. Wyat was Mucha Lucha (much wrestling) for a long time because when he was tiny he would want to wrestle with the big boys and papa. Then it was Smoocha Lucha, smoochalicious, and not just mooch. And we get funny looks when we call him that in public. What? Mooch isnt a good kids name? I guess not. Have a great (relaxed) weekend friend!

• 2. LLA  |  May 4, 2007 at 5:35 pm

Big Big Hug to you, and little BabyBenderBellyShrimp!

(we always used to tell Schecky that the more ridiculous nicknames you had, the more it meant that you were loved… )

• 3. laeroport  |  May 4, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Eliot is Bubba. Everywhere. ‘Hey, Bubba!” Wow! We sound highly educated! (No offense, LLA and your lovely husband, Bubba!) Bender and Belly Shrimp sound like great nicknames.

Here’s wishing you a non-barfy weekend! Hug, hug, hug! (One for you, one for the belly shrimp and one for the shrimp in your belly).

Okay, I think I passed you there on letter::parentheses ratio.

• 4. DaisyCake  |  May 4, 2007 at 5:59 pm

Ha! When I read “Bender” I immediately thought of a robot. Specifically Bender the robot on Futurama.

Belly Shrimp! That’s great!

• 5. capello  |  May 4, 2007 at 6:06 pm

and i thought you were going to say that she was calling the baby in your belly a belly shrimp.

hmph.

• 6. Alicia A.  |  May 4, 2007 at 7:15 pm

Good to hear you guys are still kicking around. Hang in there, sis.

I call J “bug” or “buggy” ALL of the time. He is now officially embarrassed of me- I called him bug at school and he turned red as a beet and silently walked away.

• 7. madmommy  |  May 4, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Hope you feel better soon, I remember that time.
    That Star Trek clip is hilarious; what’s worse, I have one of those dolls!

• 8. Chara Michele  |  May 5, 2007 at 12:03 am

It is good to hear that you are still around:) I hope you start to feel a little better soon!

• 9. mizmell  |  May 5, 2007 at 7:49 am

Teach them… It’s amazing what they learn when you’re not teaching. And it’s also amazing how much is really, really good stuff.
    The best is, of course, teaching by example. (I’m sure of this NOW since my children left home about 5 years ago.)

• 10. Felicia  |  May 5, 2007 at 5:35 pm

I am a Star Trek fan and that was indeed hilarious. I hope you feel better soon :)

• 11. Amy  |  May 7, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Sorry you’re still feeling gross. Blech blech blechers. No need to keep up with Jones’ bloggers though — just take it easy. We miss ya but will wait for your happy return. THanks for the link to that bird call site – it is nice. I’ve seen other ones but they don’t always leave the picture of the bird up on the screen at the same time. Bea’s a bird fan too but she was disappointed there were no owls or birds of prey on this site.

• 12. Nikki  |  May 8, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Cute nicknames. My daughter is Mary Beth and at some point my dad would call her Berry Meth to tease her. This has evolved into Berry (the usual name), Berrilicious, Bear. I also depart and call her Chicken Licken, Chickalick, Turkeybutt, etc. In the past her favourite was Taloolah Pumpkinhead. I don’t know how they happen, they just do. She loves it (she’s 7 now) and the other day asked me to call her Turkey. It makes me smile.

My other daughter, Caitlyn, has been Caity Louise, Louise the Fish (when she doesn’t listen to her name), Caity Loo.

Hailey is Hailey Loo, Hailey Bailey and Hey You.

My son John Richard is often called Richard (french accent), Johnny Boy and punky.

Nicknames are a happy thing.

• 13. Jennifer  |  May 8, 2007 at 7:20 pm

That was a funny video! I am a big ol’ Trek dork :)

Just chill-ax, we’ ll see you on the other side of sleepy nausea and if your doctor gave you what I had you should try it.