Multiplying Trees and Kitten Mittens!

November 27, 2006

Alrighty, I've been a sewing fool.  The trees have multiplied.  I'm working on making some sets of 3 for Christmas gifts. Sewing things for other people is kind of hard-what colors to choose and all the other personal-ish decisions to obsess over. I've got many more to make. I'm going to need much more stuffing I think. I'm loving the little snowy chenille baby in the middle.

And, drumroll please… I finished up my little project. I have been planning on making these for months. It is one of my favorite things I've made so far.

What is it? Well, dear reader they are sets of mittens and indoor snowballs (or just snowballs for the child who doesn't get any real snow). I didn't have a pattern for mittens and tracing mittens I had didn't help because most mittens are made of some slightly stretchy material and that makes them easy to get on, but when made with ungiving fabric they are tricky to make fit. I tried over and over. I finally got the right size and shape.
They are reversible too! Minky-dot on one side and Three Little Kittens fabric on the other (You know, the three little kittens who lost their mittens? Yeah, them. This amuses me endlessly. I'm simple that way.). I made two sets of these. One for Keely for Christmas and one for another special girl. I want some of these mittens myself now. Love the minky.  I was going to take it one step further and make the snowballs 3 different sizes and have velcro on them so they could be stacked-up for snowman making, but I think the bottoms would have to be a bit flat for them to stand up. I'm not up to figuring that out right now. So, it's just some snowballs- really, really soft snowballs-that will never melt… and KITTEN MITTENS people-ack! kitten. mittens.

Filed under: random chatter,stuff i've made

• 1. Jennifer  |  November 27, 2006 at 9:22 am

What adorable mittens! And what a clever idea to make indoor snowballs. We never get any snow either and Ethan is always asking why we don’t get any. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend.

• 2. cathy  |  November 27, 2006 at 10:16 am

I’ve been meaning to make some of those cone trees this year. I bought cloth for them last year… maybe soon. The mittens turned out ADORABLE! And the matching ‘snow’ balls are cute too.

• 3. kirsten  |  November 27, 2006 at 10:35 am

the snowballs are Such a Good Idea!

• 4. laurie  |  November 27, 2006 at 10:52 am

Are you kidding me?? Those mittens and snow balls are ADORABLE!!! What a great idea!

Oh, you made a tall tree. I still can’t figure it out. Care to share your template???

• 5. Emy  |  November 27, 2006 at 10:55 am

What cute little mittens! Now you may have some pie. Meow, meow, meow, meow…
    :D And your trees are tree-mendous!

• 6. beki  |  November 27, 2006 at 11:47 am

Oh dear Angela, cuteness overload!

• 7. bee  |  November 27, 2006 at 12:24 pm

The mittens are VERY cute! I have tried making mittens before and given up. Love those snowballs and trees, too. Wish I lived somewhere that required fake snowballs!!

• 8. Ali  |  November 27, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Fake snowballs – you really are the most fantastic Mummy in the universe!

• 9. amy h  |  November 27, 2006 at 3:51 pm

Very cute! I love that minky stuff — so soft.

I like the tall trees, too!

• 10. lera  |  November 27, 2006 at 4:20 pm

love the idea of indoor snowballs! how fun is that??

• 11. capello  |  November 27, 2006 at 4:31 pm

we are three little kittens, we’ve lost out mittens, oh where, oh where could they be?

thanks. i’ll be singing that all day now.

(cute mittens. cute trees. domestic diva you are.)

• 12. Amy  |  November 27, 2006 at 6:21 pm

Ack ack ack.
    Maybe I still haven’t recovered from the Thanksgiving travels or something… but the kitten mitten indoor snowball fight set is totally rockin my world. Bea is 100% expecting snow for Christmas this year due to all the books we’ve been reading and she isn’t taking “We live in Texas where it doesn’t snow” for an answer. Hmmm – better figure out that ball pattern thingy.

I thought you were moping, girl!? You’ve been ON in the sewing department though. All your stuff balls, trees, hemming… has been great.

Now I’m gonna go mope.

• 13. kirsty  |  November 27, 2006 at 6:57 pm

The snowballs are an unbelievably clever idea!!! I know a whole heap of kids who never see snow :D They would all be so excited by those!

• 14. Allison  |  November 28, 2006 at 4:46 am

So, so sweet! Maybe with the snowballs you could put some beans/lentils/rice in just the bottom one and then I reckon the others would sit on top nicely with the velcro.
    That way you have one heavier one for the base of the snowman, but keep the rest super soft for indoor snow fights.

• 15. monica  |  November 28, 2006 at 8:27 am

look at you you busy girl!

cute tree and the mittens are adorable.

• 16. Luckybeans  |  November 28, 2006 at 10:19 am

*must go hide computer before children discover fake snowballs*

…and she gets a bazillion comments, too.

• 17. estea  |  November 28, 2006 at 5:34 pm

pretty sure you need to change blog title to Sewingfool.

yep.

those are cutie patootie.

you should send some to your old geometry teacher.

;)

• 18. manda  |  November 28, 2006 at 5:56 pm

You, my wonderful friend are a super star!!! Do you hear me? A super star!! Kitten Mittens? Kitten. Mittens! Love you and your mittens!

• 19. LLA  |  November 28, 2006 at 6:30 pm

ACK!

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any cuter than the little trees… you go and invent the indoor snowball. You are a GENIUS! And kitten mittens? My word – such incredible cuteness….

Love. them. all.

• 20. molly  |  November 30, 2006 at 8:47 pm

i JUST bought a great wool sweater at the thrift store two days ago, that I want to turn into mittens. I’m glad I read your post, because it makes me realize that I need to do some practice pairs before I jump in to cutting up my beautiful sweater.
    I love the reversible idea, too. (and the snowballs are too much!!!)

• 21. Patricia  |  December 12, 2006 at 4:41 pm

After I finished my mitten garland , I realized that they were another variation on your so-lovely-mitts. They are too sweet. I think I want to make a snowball garland next.

• 22. Monika  |  September 26, 2015 at 2:48 pm