Beach picnic.

October 4, 2006

Went to the post office. fun. Then took Keely over to her "castle" beach park for a little while. We walked down to the beach (not our normal beach spot) only after much coaxing. She only wants to play hide-and-seek in the castle. Over and over and over. Finally, I get slow-pokie-joe-frazer (We make up a lot of names in our house, terms of endearment really.) to walk with me and, holy moly, it was a beautiful beach day.

No one was there and the weather was clear. There were gentle waves laping at the shore and the sky was beautiful shades of blue. Lovely. I said, "Keely let's hurry up (HA HA HA) and go home and get lunch and we'll bring it back here at have a picnic on the beach!" She liked the idea, but it took forever to get her back to car. Finally, got dawdler-the-toddler home and threw a lame lunch in a bag and ran back up there (We live less than a mile from the water.)  I carried her heavy little self awhile and finally, we were back at our little haven (I like parenthesis.).
At the beach, in OCTOBER! Sweating, getting a sunburn, and playing in the water.
I have a really hard time getting my horizons straight in my photos no matter how hard I try to line it up in the view finder/frame when I am shooting (see above photo and why am I pointing this out to you who may not have noticed? Not wise, me thinks. Now all you see is crooked horizons. great.). I was starting to think it was the camera, or some optical illusion of shooting long open stretches of skylines, but I think I figured it out. My right shoulder has bad tendonitis and I don't have full range of motion with it, so when I hold up the camera, my right arm doesn't come up as high as my left one and this results in my photos often being tilted down, to the right. It's an identifying feature of my fabulous photography. I'm going to trademark that fancy technique and make millions. ha.
We had fun playing in the water up to our knees and being stalked by seagulls who wanted our lunch. It was perfect until about 1 o'clock and then the sun was baking us and the tide started coming in fast and it almost got my camera! The nerve of the bay, huh?  'Bout lost my mind. I was running like a crazy person trying to save the bag holding the camera from a wave. AH! Don't mess with my camera.
Keely doesn't like the waves, so It wasn't too hard to convince her that it was time to go, but then we had the long and sloooooow walk back to our car. Oh, sweet Pete. come.on.child. She's all about running at full-speed when she is leading, but if I try in the slightest, kindest way to lead her somewhere, turtle legs come out. And everytime I look back at her, trailing ever so slowly behind me, she stops walking all together and does something like veer off the path to investigate a pine cone or lay on the ground to examine the sidewalk. stinker. I guess it's a little funny. I need a micro-foldable-lightweight-compact stroller that's fits in a pocket to whip out in these situations. seriously. So, all-in-all, a nice day was had at the beach. In October.

Filed under: child related activities,random chatter

• 1. Alicia A.  |  October 4, 2006 at 9:13 am

Nothing like the sea air to clear the head! I haven’t been to the ocean in years. Maybe it’s time. Less than a mile. Pphft.

Just like when you’re late for something- Makes them move slower than molasses to mention the word ‘hurry’.

• 2. Amy  |  October 4, 2006 at 10:12 am

I read something about toddlers being the ultimate in zen — totally lost in the present — no cares for the future. The article suggested we all slow down and try to get in their point of view… hard to do when the waves are coming in, you have to carry the picnic basket, or you have to go to the bathroom…

I’m envious of your beautiful beach day. Just read an article about the sad state of the coasts — but your little section looks lovely!

• 3. capello  |  October 4, 2006 at 11:20 am

Well, here’s an instance where Keely and my boys don’t agree. They like to run ahead and run into streets. Be thankful you have a doddler sometimes.

• 4. krommama  |  October 4, 2006 at 1:13 pm

What a lovely day at the beach!

With my two kids (8 and 5), we play “freeze/go”. This is how you play: I say “go” and the kids walk fast (or you could change the rules to run) until I say “freeze” and then they freeze until I say “go” again. Sometimes I say “go” right away or wait until I catch up to them or pass them a little. It gets a little tricky if one gets way ahead of the other.

They think it is a game for fun, I think it is a game to keep them near me when we are walking into a store or walking along the sidewalk. anyhoo, that’s what works for us.

• 5. madmommy  |  October 4, 2006 at 1:46 pm

Ok, sounds like you need Photoshop Elements, lol! No, only if the horizon really bugs you. And I never noticed it. Maybe I always figured curvature of the earth does than anyway?

Did you make Keely’s hat? I need to make one for the munchkin for next summer. And isn’t the weather bizarre?

• 6. estea  |  October 4, 2006 at 2:16 pm

what a good mama.

have I mentioned my intense burning jealousy of your proximity to water?

well, now i have.

i WISH my toddler would slow down. he’s the anti-toddler. he RUNS. CONSTANTLY. the boy will never be a “stop and smell the flowers” kinda guy. nope. nosireebob.

• 7. monica  |  October 4, 2006 at 2:22 pm

have you got ANY idea at all of how jealous I am? less than a mile from the beach?

Simply not fair.

• 8. lera  |  October 4, 2006 at 7:49 pm

I would love to live so close to the beach! You are so lucky! Glad you went now before the cold weather comes our way tomorrow!!!!

• 9. Dawn  |  October 4, 2006 at 10:11 pm

Gorgeous… ah to live by the beach.

• 10. molly  |  October 9, 2006 at 8:17 am

lovely pictures. really makes me miss living on lake michigan. we did this kind of thing all the time!