the evolving blog

September 14, 2006

Well, since you all are so nice and encouraging about the posting of the kiddie stuff, I am going to keep posting some of it-not every day mind you. I've mentioned to several people that the blog evolves. I started this blog with the intention of being all super crafty. That ain't going to happen. I've accepted that. I really only like to craft things that I have a need for and/or for gifts. Occassionaly, I like to try something just because it looks neat. I always am hesitant to post too much mommy & me stuff because I feel like I've mislead some people. The ones who put me in their links under "crafty" or "inspirational".  I think that is really nice and flattering. Thank you to those people.  It does make me feel a little guilty when I go weeks without making something though.  So, right now this is more of a mommy blog I guess. Life evolves, I evolve, the blog evolves. It's all good. I'm trying to do a little more photography to fill my artistic needs, since that is something I can do with Keely, wherever we are.  Anywho. Yesterday we did this little activity, among other things.

She has this spastic colored letter rug in her room. It is not to my decorating taste, but it really useful and we have some good games we play with it.  For this exciting, fast-paced, action-packed game, we go on a hunt around the house trying to find things that start with each of the letters. We don't keep very much off limits and you have to RUN to find the objects. It makes for quite a few messes as she dumps out buckets of toys, searching for the Panda bears to go on the letter P and digging through our pantry to find Noodles for N, but it's entertaining and eats up a good chunk of time.  My favorite here is the cup of Water on W and then later she couldn't find anything for Y, she wanted a yo-yo and couldn't find one, so she said, "Yucky, Yucky starts with Y! Trash is yucky!" She ran off and got a crumbled up piece of paper (thankfully, it was clean trash). Mommy always has to stand on M too.  She put a photo of herself on K. cute.

Filed under: child related activities,random chatter

• 1. Emily  |  September 14, 2006 at 8:59 am

what an excellent fun idea. Now if only 8th grade and 6th grade math homework were that easy!!!!
    Keep up the good work… you are making wonderful progress with her!!!!

• 2. lera  |  September 14, 2006 at 9:54 am

i think that is time well spent. what a great idea. and she sounds so smart already!!!

i really like the “trash is yucky.” sounds like a little angela in the making!!!! :-)

• 3. Alicia A.  |  September 14, 2006 at 11:27 am

What a great idea! Jack would love any excuse to run inside the house.

I wouldl read the blog even if you never posted anything crafty again. I’d be a little sad not to see you using your talent once in awhile (cause you ARE talented!) but I love reading about you and your life and Keely. Keep it up, friend!

• 4. madmommy  |  September 14, 2006 at 11:45 am

Oh, cool game! Wish the munchkin was old enought. Right now he just runs through the house, dumping stuff out, but there is no rhyme or reason that I know of.
    You just keep blogging the way you want to. I understand the time involved in trying to be crafty all the time, and I think if we try to attain that with small children, we’ll just wear ourselves out and then the crafting loses it’s purpose, and the kids are cranky. Blog on!

• 5. molly  |  September 14, 2006 at 1:01 pm

I guess I’ve always thought of the blogs I read as “crafty moms”. In fact, I think that’s how I describe it to other people. So I always expect a little craft, a little mom-stuff.

I LOVE this idea. I don’t have the rug, but I’m thinking it would so easy to make out of fabric. What a good idea!!!!

• 6. hannah  |  September 14, 2006 at 2:55 pm

what a great Idea, I am tempted to make a fabric version of this too. I bet they can play for quite some time doing this as well.

• 7. Chrys  |  September 14, 2006 at 4:22 pm

Hey, well done!! Sometimes what they need it’s exactly this, some activities leaded by mommy. With my girls it’s the same, when they are kind of stressed, and it’s raining, I always try to invent some new activity to entertain and educate (which is not easy, I know…) and it ALWAYS works, they always join in very happily in every silly thing mommy would invent…hehehe…
    I have a good idea for you to do some crafty and educative stuff for Keely, as she is learning letters. Have a look on this picture:
    Singer
    It’s the last picture, you have to scroll down, it’s a “Letter’s Bucket”, a very simple idea, and so educative! So much possibilities of playing…hehehe…
    I really have to make one for my girls, just have to make the time for that… :o ))

• 8. LLA  |  September 14, 2006 at 5:28 pm

such a great activity!
    That little girl is as smart as a whip!

• 9. kirsty  |  September 14, 2006 at 6:09 pm

That is such a cool game. I wish I had been that creative when my kids were little :( I was just TOO tired!

• 10. Sarah  |  September 15, 2006 at 5:30 pm

Don’t let us, your audience, influence you too much in terms of what you write and choose to share here. This space is, above all, yours. It can be whatever you want it to be and that can change just as life does. We are simply your invited guests.

• 11. Eren  |  September 16, 2006 at 8:29 am

Any crafty mama understands that there are seasons…seasons our children allow us to create and seasons they need us to be a little more present in their worlds. We’ve been living outside in the garden this summer, so not much crafting here either, but winter is coming…aaaahhhh, back to the projects. Keep doing what you are doing.

• 12. joanna  |  September 16, 2006 at 6:46 pm

You’re such a good mom! That sounds like a fun game. I used to be creative like that when I worked as a teacher. And now with my own kids I’m all, “yeah…go find something to play with!” Lazy me. Sigh.

• 13. eireann  |  September 19, 2006 at 12:37 am

I’m feeling the ‘evolution’ too. It began one way, it’s turning into something else. I like it. It feels natural.