Day 2- the beach castle

September 13, 2006

Yesterday was sunny and cool so we headed down to the beach. It was so windy there, the waves were crashing and noisy-spraying us with cold water. The tide was high so there was little walking room on the shore. Normally, Keely loves when we walk on the beach but it was too much for her senses on this day-noise,wind, water, crashing.

She was not happy. "It's too loud. It's too windy. Make it stop. The sand is too hard to walk on here." Finally, we left and went down a block to the little park at the beach. She cheered right up when she saw the happy flags.
We counted seagulls.
 Played hide-and-seek
She spotted this and claimed it as her "castle."
She took off, ascended the royal stair case and put on quite a show-singing and dancing-for her audience of one.
 We stayed there for about an hour and never saw another soul. Would this not be the perfect place for a nice play date? Kids could put on an awesome show up there on the beach front stage, play in the sand, roll in the grass, & have a little picnic.
No, I'm not going to post this stuff everyday, but I'm just trying to get us into the routine. So far, our active play time is taking up most of the day and by the time we are done with it, it's time for lunch and then a nap (all the running around has made her fall asleep nicely again). When she wakes up she is ready to play, play, play again. I'm getting very little else done and that means I don't have anythig else to blog about. Ah well. She is happy and I do get to take some pretty photos.  I put some more on flickr.

Filed under: child related activities,keely,random chatter

• 1. cathy  |  September 13, 2006 at 9:11 am

Why wouldn’t you blog about the things you are doing? Assuming you want to that is. I think your adventures are very inspiring.

BTW, my son hated the beach for the same reasons last year but this year he loved the beach. Maybe Keely will like it better next year too.

• 2. Casey  |  September 13, 2006 at 9:25 am

I love hearing about your adventures with Keely. Now that my son is back in school, I’m trying to fill Maia’s mornings with fun things to take her mind off of him not being here so I’m getting lots of inspiration.

• 3. LLA  |  September 13, 2006 at 9:36 am

I love how much time you spend with your child, and how much you enjoy each other’s company. It is the single most important thing that you can do for her. (And as a recovering preschool teacher – I can tell you that unfortunately there are a lot of parents out there, with children Keely’s age, who do not enjoy spending time with their kids, and leave them in preschool and aftercare for upwards of 8 hours a day… And yes, we are talking about 2 and 3 and 4 year olds….)

I do realize that here in the blogging world, it is easy to get caught up in the gorgeous work that others are creating and posting about: the knitting, the sewing, the crafting, the thrifting! It’s easy to get frustrated when you feel like you don’t have nearly enough of your own creative time – trust me, I know!
    But what you and Keely are doing together is so, so, so important, and precious – and to me, at least, every bit as interesting to read about. (Just my two cents, there)

BTW: I’ve been meaning to ask for a while – I love the name Keely, where did it come from????

• 4. MéLisa  |  September 13, 2006 at 9:39 am

I love reading about you & Keely’s adventures. I think that it is great that you are able to spend some much time with you & are making the most of it! Good for you!

• 5. Amy  |  September 13, 2006 at 10:10 am

The beach? Ack – jealous. Though I can understand about the wind/crashing surf being overstimulating. I’d love to hear about your adventures everyday -or whenever you wish to post about them.

Now that we are back and I am partially recovered from the trauma I am ready to get our “fall schedule” lined up. I did sign up for a few little Mommy & me classes to kick start us but other than that I am looking into simple little field trips like you guys are taking. We can continue to push each other to remember to enjoy these things now. The crafting and decorating will surely be there later!

• 6. laeroport  |  September 13, 2006 at 10:23 am

No matter what other cool things you make, Keely will always be the BEST thing you EVER made (unless/until #2 comes along)! So keep posting. She is a continual work in progress, as are you, and all of us.

Cheers!

• 7. capello  |  September 13, 2006 at 10:25 am

I know I write about tons of stuff, but I consider taking care of the boys my number one priority — and I love you and Keely’s playdate!

(wow, no sarcastic comments from me. i’m impressed.)

• 8. Alicia A.  |  September 13, 2006 at 10:30 am

I’ve noticed with my kids, if we have one on one playtime even for a little while, it improves their attitude and behavior the rest of the day. I should try to do it more.

Way to go! You’re a great Mommy. Have fun!

• 9. Ali  |  September 13, 2006 at 12:12 pm

What a fantasic day – keep posting about them for sure.

• 10. molly  |  September 13, 2006 at 2:11 pm

that spot looks so wonderful. definite “play” potential….

• 11. lera  |  September 13, 2006 at 2:43 pm

and you want to move away from that??? that would convince me to stay :-)

• 12. Bessilu  |  September 13, 2006 at 7:40 pm

Wow. I enjoy spending time with my child even though she goes to daycare for a horrifying 8 hours of friends and play and arts and crafts and music. Nice comment LLA.

Anyhoo-I like seeing what you are up to with Keely. It’s fun to compare parenting days and know that everyone is going through the same struggles and joys as I am.

• 13. Momma Pajama  |  September 14, 2006 at 9:37 am

These are precious years you have now with Keely, and they will zip by SO fast! I remember when my 2 boys were younger and we would get a yearly zoo pass. I would park on the street for free, bring snacks and let them each pick one or two animals to see. That way, if we had to leave in 1/2 hour, no loss. If we were all doing well, we might stay 3 hours and see lots more animals. And there’s even a lot to see on a rainy day! Precious memories!